Friday 22 October 2010

Dare to be Different!

I came across these Irises today and thought them lovely. I couldn't resist taking a photo.
Now it occurred to me that usually when I think of Irises, I expect them to be blue, yellow or white.I suppose that these are the more traditional colours, which over time have been expanded. However, as a creature of habit, I am delightedly surprised when I discover a different Iris.
What has this got to do with life?
As a teenager growing up in the UK in the 60's I didn't fit in with my peers. I refused to follow the herd. I was something of an outsider. I did not want to go with the other kids  to  try adult stuff like smoking & drinking. When asked was I a Mod or a Rocker (you have to be about my age to relate to this one!) I said that I was a Mocker! This attitude did not win me any friends and I often found myself alone in the school yard.
However, now I am older and wiser, I really understand the value of  those who like me are different. People who have the courage to stand up for what they believe in, not be swayed by others opinions and have the courage to speak their truth. Even if their truth does not fit with yours, they still deserve respect. That also includes the people who do not have a mobile phone, they too deserve respect!
Sometimes  people get themselves into trouble because they do not have the courage to say "No" when they know in their hearts that they should do just that. The are so afraid of not fitting in and not being acceptable that they get involved in activities and make choices that are not good.
Too many conflicts are caused because people are afraid of someone who is different.
Perhaps one way of valuing our differences is to have a yearly "Different Peoples Day" and celebrate the differences that make us all unique and special.

No comments:

Post a Comment