Friday 13 December 2013

Friday Musings - Vacuums; how exciting!

My vacuum cleaner died yesterday. Sad really, it had served me well for nearly 20 years. 

No it wasn't sad, I hated the d......mn thing. It was heavy to lug around. It refused to follow me and kept jamming itself up against the furniture. And when it did a dummy spit it turned Turtle and refused to move. I am sure it had a mind of its own!
That Vacuum I am sure hated me as much as I hated it.

Anyhow, I went off to the vacuum cleaner shop thinking that buying a new vacuum would be easy.

I was feeling rather pleased with myself as  I had looked on the internet and thought I had found one that would do the job at a price I was happy with. According to the web site the shop was open until 9 pm, so as it was only 6.45 I had plenty of time to get there and make my purchase. Wrong! On arrival I discovered that the shop was closed at 5.30 - just goes to show  you can't believe everything you read on the Internet!

So back again I went this morning. On entering the shop I found that I was surrounded by Vacuum cleaners of all shapes, sizes and colours. And of course, various prices.

A very nice man came to assist me with my purchase and this is where things started to get complicated. 

It seems that due to the regulations changing ( don't you love Government regulations? Ha!) you now have to choose a Vacuum cleaner to suit your type of floor covering. No longer does " one size fit all". So I went through a series of questions like: "Do you have mostly carpet?" "Do you have pets?" "Which colour vacuum would you like?" (Some Vacuums seem to come in a range of colour these days - I hope the colours make them work better)

The upshot of all this is that I ended up buying a Vacuum cleaner that cost me more than I had planned, came with two cleaning heads instead of one like my old monster but is a pretty purple colour! 

I think I shall call it "Violet". Then perhaps I shall feel more kindly towards it when I have to clean my floors. 

Housework has never been one of my favorite occupations but thinking about  "Violet"  helping me with the job seems nicer than just "vacuuming the floor". I am hoping that my relationship with "Violet" will be one of efficiency and co-operation and dare I say it - affection. 

Hilary Thompson
The Out and About Therapist




No comments:

Post a Comment